Friday, July 31, 2015

Sometimes I get it right

"...if you drink much from a bottle marked 'poison,' it is almost certain to disagree with you, sooner or later."
- Lewis Carroll,Alice's Adventures in Wonderland


For a variety of reasons, I've been feeling sorry for myself lately. When it seems all you do is swim against the current or push against the crowd, you get...tired.

Then I graded Physical Science in the News blogs for one of my online courses.  The assignment was to find an article about fiber optics and then blog about it.  As I read their blogs, I came across this comment from a student:
I never would have understood why this was important if I hadn't taken this course.
The article in question was about fiber optic cables for high speed Internet access for a local community that lacked such service. It was from a local source, so it was a story the student probably would have come across even without the assignment. But because of this assignment, the student now realized that there is a connection between what is learned in class and what goes on in the real world. Isn't that what we all want to have happen?

You know, some times I really do know what I'm doing. I need to remember that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment